}

Total Pageviews

Friday, April 26, 2013

MUSIC. MONEY. DAVID HUNTER. Who's Conning Who?

Looks like David Hunter may actually be reading this blog.

Here's an email exchange between Miss Fortune and one "J. R.". Could it be that J. R. is really David Hunter? 
Maybe.





The story begins with a tantalizing little email I received Wednesday evening in response to my post about David Hunter and his alleged Cape Town, South Africa "major music festival": DAVID HUNTER SCAM ALERT!

From: Cell Block Inc <cellblockinc@gmail.com>
To: tcmissfortune@yahoo.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:50 PM
Subject: David Hunter



Hello who ever you are,

I just read your blog while doing due dillegence for a music festival. What can you tell me? We met the owner of the land in South Africa personally through Hunter. So you believe the man we met is in on a scam with Hunter?

J.R.

OK, I'll take the bait. Assuming that it was coming from Hunter ("dillegence" was misspelled), I responded:

From: Miss Fortune <tcmissfortune@yahoo.com>
To: Cell Block Inc <cellblockinc@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 7:39 AM
Subject: Re: David Hunter


Thank you for getting in touch. If you could let me know where you met Hunter--(US, South Africa?), exactly where in South Africa the land is, and anything else you'd like to share--it would be helpful.

Because I write under an assumed name, I protect my sources the same way.

So I need to make sure I'm actually communicating with a potential Hunter business partner and not David Hunter himself.

I will be happy to let you know more of what I know.

Regards,
Miss Fortune


On Thursday afternoon, J. R. responded:
 
From: Cell Block Inc <cellblockinc@gmail.com>
To: Miss Fortune <tcmissfortune@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:09 PM
Subject: Re: David Hunter
Hello Ms. Fortune,

I met him through a mutual business colleague. I represent some of the artists who are scheduled to perform in Capetown. I have gone back and read through your blogs about Hunter. My interests are to protect my artists but I am not prepared to release my name just yet. You wrote in one of your articles that Hunter was captured on April 11th when in fact he was in our office all day on the 11th. We were in meetings prior to that and after so where did you get this information from? If you could clear that up for me, I will do better then giving you my name I will also give you my number so we can talk.
Thanks,
 J.R. 
 
So, the long con begins. Notice although "Capetown" is misspelled, J. R. claims to represent some of the artists who are scheduled to perform there--even though there is no "there" there. His message refers to a post about Hunter's apprehension posted on April 11. Hunter--oh, I mean J. R.--attempts to establish his credibility and refute the information I received from my source.

So I answered him:


From: Miss Fortune <tcmissfortune@yahoo.com>
To: Cell Block Inc <cellblockinc@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:40 PM
Subject: Re: David Hunter

J. R.--
I received word on April 11th from a former associate of Hunter's that he'd been apprehended that day.

Just to set the hook, I included information about another one of Hunter's scams, provided by another source. I have not reproduced that information here, due to its confidential nature. In the near future, I will be posting those stories on the blog.

You'll see that J. R. one-ups the ante while attempting to refute the music tour scam account. By dropping "UMG" (Universal Music Group) into the mix and referring to mysterious "industry contacts", J. R. is working hard to inject credibility into the mix--although he's using a Gmail address recently registered through a Mountain View, CA ISP.
 
From: Cell Block Inc <cellblockinc@gmail.com>
To: Miss Fortune <tcmissfortune@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:21 PM
Subject: Re: David Hunter


Hello Ms. Fortune,

We are well aware of the tour and tour bus incident. Our industry contacts already picked that up. Aparently Hunter did attempt to set up a tour but funding fell through when the tour manager couldn't provide a record contract for his artist. We spoke to the UMG to confirm. Our only concern is that you posted there is no music festival happening in Capetown, and that he is seeking investors to scam. Can you give me some proof of this so I can pull my artists before this festival gets formally announced?

Thanks,

J.R.


Again, J. R. asks for "proof" of Hunter's scam, fishing for information just to see how much your Miss Fortune really knows. And did you notice that  he claimed Hunter did "attempt to set up a tour but funding fell through when the tour manager couldn't provide a record contract for his artist"?

So, riddle me this, wasn't Hunter the manager of this tour? So then the tour fall apart when Hunter couldn't provide a record contract for his artist?

I know this is confusing, and it's designed to be. By leading your Miss Fortune down a Hobbit hole, Hunter--oh, I mean J. R.--waves a shiny object, hoping to distract my focus. Both the groups on this abortive tour actually had contracts at the time of the tour.

So let's start reeling him in--

From: Miss Fortune <tcmissfortune@yahoo.com>
To: Cell Block Inc <cellblockinc@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 6:03 PM
Subject: Re: David Hunter



Let me ask you a question--what proof has Hunter provided that there is a tour? Has he asked you to sign a  "non-disclosure agreement"? Are there legal contacts with other management companies? A reliable tour manager? Or even a financial plan to fund the "chartered flight"? A top-flight entertainment law firm handling the artists and arrangements?

On his Facebook page (part of which I excerpted on my blog, but not this section) Hunter mentions that he is "putting together a major music festival in Capetown South Africa. It will take place during the first week of December this year. We are putting together the line up as we speak". Hunter also claims that Ray J is a "business partner", and that "we just launched a new project together with him, JoJo, Nicki Minaj, Chris Brown and some others".

Other than misspelling "Cape Town" and his girl "Nicki" Minaj's first name, I guess I should just eat that up with a spoon.

Regards,
Miss Fortune


How will Hunter--I mean J. R.--respond? What plot twist will Hunter--I mean J. R.--throw in this time? 

You'll never guess where this is going! I've highlighted the best parts in our "Con Game 101" story!


From: Cell Block Inc <cellblockinc@gmail.com>
To: Miss Fortune <tcmissfortune@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 6:20 PM
Subject: Re: David Hunter


Hello Miss Fortune,

I actually represent Ray J. There is no tour. Just one weekend which Hunter brokered. We are not involved with Hunter past that. We are now in direct contact with the owner of the festival in SA not Hunter. Hunter helped fund a reality show for us and in return we put together about 50% of the main talent for the event. We were actually suppose to meet with Hunter today to pay him a significant amount of money for his services. We put him off until tomorrow because this came up. Greg the festival owner from South Africa is from one of the richest families in Africa. I doubt he will be scaming us. Hunter is due to make 7 figures tomorrow unless you can provide me some proof that Greg is in on some scam with Hunter. Please let me know anything because our legal team finds Greg to highly check out.

Thanks,

J.R.

Just to recap--I'm supposed to believe that a "7 figure" payment to Hunter hangs in the balance, pending my secret information? 

And that he actually represents Ray J, a major music star whose sister is Brandy and whose mother runs the Norwood Talent Agency?

And that this email faker's "legal team" can't make a call or run a UCC report on Hunter?

And how Hunter's big deal now hinges on a blogger--what the hell is this, a Lifetime movie?

It's been fun, but this J. R. is starting to work on Miss Fortune's last, good nerve. I fire off this one: 



From: Miss Fortune <tcmissfortune@yahoo.com>
To: Cell Block Inc <cellblockinc@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: David Hunter

 

Well, if you're who you claim to be, then you must have a legal team.

And if "Greg" is who he says he is, then you should be fine.

This certainly has been fun, David, and it will make an entertaining post on my blog!

Miss Fortune

And, wouldn't you know it, the con of the con continues! Hunter--I mean J. R.--keeps going, now wanting to speak to Miss Fortune.

From: Cell Block Inc <cellblockinc@gmail.com>
To: Miss Fortune <tcmissfortune@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 6:41 PM
Subject: Re: David Hunter

This is not David. Can you call me in 10 minutes?


OK, "call me in 10 minutes". 

I was born at night, but not last night! Call me--but I didn't include my number and I didn't even tell you who I really am.

You know your girl Miss Fortune can't resist a challenge, so back I go:

From: Miss Fortune <tcmissfortune@yahoo.com>
To: Cell Block Inc <cellblockinc@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 7:00 PM
Subject: Re: David Hunter

I will speak with you after you:

-Send me an email from your company's legitimate email address
-Confirm the date of the Cape Town event and location
-Provide me with Greg's name and brief bio
-Explain the details of the reality show Hunter "helped you fund"
-Explain how Hunter became a "business partner" of Ray J
-Respond with your real name and phone number


If everything checks out, then I will call you.

Miss Fortune



Did the Hunter stand-in J. R. send his contact information? Or confirm the date and location of the Cape Town "major music festival"? Or even explain how Hunter helped fund a reality show?

Nope! He just scuttled back under the rock he emerged from: 
 
From: Cell Block Inc <cellblockinc@gmail.com>
To: Miss Fortune <tcmissfortune@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:15 PM
Subject: Re: David Hunter

Ms. Fortune,

Pardon me but we do not need to get in the middle of all of this. We came accross this blog during a Google search. You claimed on your blog that there is no music festival and that is all we are interested in. Our team can easily take it from here. We just thought to reach out to you because of the nature of your claim. We deal with these sorts of things all the time. We will get to the bottom of everything that pertains to us. Thank you for your time.

J.R.

Damn! After that lovely email courtship, Hunter dropped it like it was hot!

What, you were expecting maybe another ending? Feh!

    




3 comments:

  1. This is David Hunter. I am sent a link to each tabloid you post. If you want a date just ask. I am sorry your life sucks so bad that you have nothing better to do then smoke cigs all day, sitting in your bathrobe and giggle because you think you are getting under my skin. You have just laid all the grounds for a law suit from several parties. You claim to be in collusion with a prosecutor too. If that is true great news! You are hiding under a rock so not to receive the restraining order waiting for you. At least I know who you are now. After I posted that I know who you are on my facebook, you mysteriously disappeared from my friends list. I have known who you are for awhile. Like I said, just ask for a date. Yes I know your vagine is sleeve of wizard but we'll work something out. I can order a donkey or something...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty typical and "mature" response by our friend. Of course it's him sending the emails...or perhaps his friend "Jen". That email address belongs to him and was used in front of me.

    ReplyDelete